Anaphylaxis Management

Please contact us for a quote.

An Anaphylactic shock, or anaphylaxis, is a life-threatening, serious allergic reaction to an allergen such as food substances or insect stings. If it is not treated appropriately, it may cause death. This training is for qualified First Aiders and Emergency First Aiders to enable them to recognise and treat anaphylaxis safely and effectively.

When administering a medication it is important to recognise and differentiate between allergic reactions and the potentially life threatening anaphylactic reactions immediately. It is also essential to determine whether the individual has had an allergic or anaphylactic response to the medication in the past, prior to administration.

This course is suitable for all First Aiders and healthcare professionals as well as those in a high risk environment where such medication is available.

Course Duration: 6 Hours

This is a classroom-based course of 6 guided learning hours.

A maximum of 12 students can be accommodated on this course.

The course is made up of theoretical sessions delivered by your Instructor who will provide a detailed course programme.

A range of subjects are covered that will enable:-

  • Identify triggers for anaphylaxis
  • Describe life threatening problems
  • Airway
  • Breathing
  • Circulation
  • Disability (Neurological status)
  • Exposure (Skin and mucosal changes)
  • Identify key features of adrenaline auto injectors
  • Demonstrate a recovery position
  • Demonstrate resuscitation for adult and child
  • Recognise the need to use an auto-injector
  • Prepare medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment
  • Demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector using a training device
  • Handover the casualty to a medical professional

This qualification lasts for 3 years. To renew the qualification, learners will need to retake the full course. However, it is recommended that during the 3-year period, the learners attend annual refresher courses.